Today is World Animal Day. The day is celebrated annually on 4 October. It is on this day that we celebrate all the animals. Around the world, there are World Animal Day awareness events to highlight the plight that animals face. Most events dedicated to World Animal Day in South Africa will take place this weekend, so make sure you show your support.
There are three easy ways everyone can get involved in helping animals whether wild or domesticated. First up on the list is volunteering. If you cannot spare resources to help animals in need then you can spend your time. There are a number of organisations in the area who would love to have you help out. Secondly, you can choose to donate. Contact an organisation which is close to your heart and ask them what they are in need of then get it for them.
Many organisations are in need of food for animals. If you are too busy to drop the bought items off why not try online shopping and have it delivered. Then lastly you can support the organisations. When they have a market or fair, pop in an buy something, join online auctions, set up debit orders. Whichever way you choose to support this World Animal Day is great.
Treat Your Pet
In celebration of World Animal Day we have three easy pet treat recipes to share to make sure that your loved furies at home don’t miss out on the action:
Easy Peanut Butter Doggo Treats
This delicious healthy dog treat is great for any day. They’re super easy to make too.
- 1 Cup of Pumpkin cooked and pureed
- 1/3 cups of peanut butter
- 2 Extra Large Spar Eggs
- 3 Cups of whole wheat flour
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or baking paper and set it aside.
- Mix together the peanut butter and pumpkin until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Slowly begin to add in the flour, one-half cup at a time until the dough is no longer a sticky consistency.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin (dough should be around 2cm thick).
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes out of the dough and place cookies on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cookie edges are brown.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before feeding to your dog.
Fussy Feline Treats
Your kitties will come running when you open the treat jar with these awesome catnip treats.
- 2 cups flour whole wheat flour
- 2 Table Spoons Dried Catnip
- ½ Cup of powdered milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or baking paper and set it aside
- Mix all the ingredients together until the dough forms a ball
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes
- Roll the dough out using a rolling pin (dough should be around 1cm thick)
- Cut into bite sized pieces
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Take out and cool completely
- Store in an airtight container