Hot Cross Buns are the perfect fluffy addition to any Easter Celebration. While they can be store-bought, there are those who attempt these delicious delights from scratch. For us, this has always been something a little daunting. But, with the assurance of our bakery staff we’ve got the absolute best recipe for Hot Cross Buns, ever.
These are super simple to make, although be warned the entire process can take up to three hours.
- 3 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 110g caster sugar
- 375ml warm milk
- 750g flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200g dried raisins
- Zest from two oranges
- 50g butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 20ml water
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- In a large bowl place 650ml flour, mixed spice, salt, cinnamon, sugar, and yeast.
- Mix together gently.
- Add in zest, butter, milk, raisin and egg.
- Mix until combined.
- Gently dust a clean work surface with flour and place dough on surface.
- Knead for roughly 10 minutes.
- Place dough back in bowl, cover with clingwrap and let it rise for until dough has doubled in size. This could take up to an hour.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Remove bowl cover and deflate dough.
- On a lightly dusted surface roll the dough into a sausage.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Cover the balls on the baking sheet with clingwrap and leave to rise again for about 40 minutes.
- 30 minutes into the second rise, preheat your oven to 180.
- Mix 75g of flour and some water to form a paste.
- Pipe paste over the top to form a cross.
- Bake buns for around 25 minutes until the surface of the buns are golden brown.
- Mix together your jam and 5 teaspoons of water and microwave for 30 seconds. Then mix again.
- Brush the buns with the jam glaze while they are warm.
- Allow the buns to cool before serving.