One of South Africa’s all-time favourite Easter dishes has to be Pickled Fish. We love that anything perfectly picked is a reflection of who South Africans are. And, fish is no exception. Pickled fish is a mix of our Malaysian heritage and it’s synonymous with Easter celebrations.
Perfectly Pickled fish is best served as a side to your Easter lunch or as a starter on the day. But, don’t let us tell you when you should eat your pickled fish. It works well as a midnight snack too.
Here’s our top-rated Perfectly Pickled Fish recipe you can share with your family this Easter.
- 1kg firm fish like hake. Try to get boneless fish fillets, it makes eating it so much easier.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 250ml buttermilk
- 250ml flour
- 60ml oil for frying
- 300ml brown vinegar
- 220ml water
- 125ml sugar
- 5ml salt to taste
- 75ml mild curry powder
- 15ml turmeric
- 3 cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 large onions, chopped
Method for Fish
- Cut the fish into portions of about 7cm.
- Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- Dip each portion in buttermilk then roll in flour.
- Fry in hot oil until cooked.
- Place in a dish once cooked and set aside.
Method for Sauce
- In a pot add vinegar, sugar, 150ml water, and salt to taste.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add curry powder, cloves, bay leaves and turmeric to mix and cook for two minutes.
- You can add more sugar if you like to.
- Add the chopped onions to the pot and cook until they are tender.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and leave to cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for two days out of reach of picked fish fans in the house.
- Serve with hot cross buns and salad.
PS – Check out this amazing hot cross bun recipe, you won’t regret it.