It’s Ravioli Day and we just know that this popular pasta needs to be celebrated. The delicate stuffed pasta dish can be traced way back. When it was first made, Ravioli was stuffed with anything that was leftover from the previous night. But today this popular dish is filled with gourmet cheese, lobster, squashes and more. It is traditionally served in a broth or sauce.
How to Make Ravioli on Ravioli Day
Ravioli is actually one of the easiest pasta meals to make. And, with a little creativity, you too can be the next king or queen of Ravioli. You might need a pasta machine, but it really is necessary. Bonus points if you have one.
To make your own Ravioli you’ll need to first make your pasta. You’ll need
- 2 cups of flour
- A little extra flour to dust your surface
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 ½ tablespoons of Olive oil
- Filling (we’ve got a few really cool filling ideas at the end)
- Mix together your salt and flour in a bowl.
- Form a well in the middle of your flour and add three of your eggs.
- Mix everything together with your hands.
- Next, drizzle in the olive oil and knead your dough for about five minutes.
- Make a ball with your dough and place it back in your bowl.
- Cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Break a small piece of the dough off and roll it through your pasta maker or use a rolling pin to roll out your dough until it is thin.
- Beat your remaining egg and set it aside.
- Remember that you need to dust your working surface with flour to avoid sticking.
- Cut circles or squares out of the dough.
- Place a small amount of your filling in the centre of the dough.
- Egg wash the outer rim of your cut dough pieces and place another dough cutting on top.
- Gently press down to seal the two pieces together.
- Place a large pot of water on the stove and heat it up until it boils.
- Drop in your Ravioli and leave for roughly three minutes.
- Serve immediately with your stock, broth or sauce
Ravioli fillings we love
When it comes to filling your Ravioli, the sky is the limit. You can put almost anything inside your pasta perfection. Here are a few suggestions we simply love
- Butternut and Feta
- Sage and butternut
- Goat cheese and spinach
- Red roasted peppers and feta