On 11 January National Milk Day is celebrated in the USA. While we in South Africa won’t celebrate the goodness of milk until 1 June we never need an excuse to indulge in a tall, cold glass of milk. The first milk deliveries in glass bottles took place on this day in the US in 1878.
It wasn’t until 1915 that the day was officially recognized as a national day. In celebration of National Milk Day here are some really cool facts about milk you probably did know.
- The US and Australia are the largest exporters of milk and milk products in the world.
- Approximately 6 billion people consume milk and milk products around the world.
- Milk was called virtuous white liquor in the Middle Ages.
- In 1863 Louis Pasteur a French chemist developed the pasteurization process which we use today.
- The first glass milk bottle was developed in 1884. This jar was sealed with a wax disk. It was not until 1932 when the first plastic covered milk cartons were introduced.
- By definition, all female mammals can produce milk. Cow milk dominated the field and in 2011 it was estimated that 85% of worldwide milk production was from cows.
- Humans also consume milk from buffalo, sheep, goats, donkey, yak, horse and reindeer.
- Milk products include cheese, yogurt, kefir, and cheese.
- World Milk day is celebrated on 1 June.
As good as the best for less
Make your hard-earned Rands stretch further by looking out for the SPAR brand label when you shop at SPAR. Our wide range of products is specially selected to give you superior quality at very competitive prices.
SPAR brand products undergo monthly testing at an independent laboratory to ensure that the highest quality standards are maintained. In fact, we are so sure of our products that we offer a ‘Double Your Money Back Quality Guarantee’ on all of our SPAR Brand items.
Here are some of the milk products you will find at Karaglen SuperSpar: