International Waffle Day celebrates a versatile and delicious favourite, the waffle. Here’s the thing though, waffles don’t need to be a dessert. Yes, that’s right, waffles can be any time of the day treat. We simply love the idea of serving sensational savoury waffles for lunch. All you really need is a reliable waffle iron and then you can put almost anything inside it.
Making Classic Waffles
Waffles are among the easiest treats to make for the whole family. Our classic waffle recipe for International Waffle Day will take about 10 minutes to prep and will give you around 12 waffles. The secret according to our bakers is the butter. Melted butter gives these waffles a luxuriously soft finish.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and a half cups of warm milk
- ½ cup of melted butter
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Mix together flour sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Heat up the waffle iron.
- In a smaller bowl mix eggs and stir in the butter, milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and beat together until well combined.
- Pour batter onto the iron surface and cook until done.
Classic Waffle Toppings
- Sprinkle a few blueberries and strawberries over the top of the waffle and dust with icing sugar.
- Top with sliced banana and caramel treat.
- Nutella and banana are one of the most loved classic waffle toppings.
- Crispy bacon and syrup.
This is a perfect combination of classic waffle and breakfast hash brown. The Potato waffle is the perfect savoury addition to the weekend breakfast menu.
- 500g SPAR potatoes peeled, grated and dried
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- Salt for seasoning
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Mix together eggs butter and salt in a bowl.
- Add in the grated and dried potato and mix well until combined.
- Serve while warm.
- If not serving immediately allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Serve with sour cream and chives or cheese spread and bacon for added oomph.
Follow us on social media: