Have you thought about your Easter Lunch Menu yet? Easter is a time for food and family. Nothing beats an Easter lunch with the ones you love. Think holiday food and the smell of hot cross buns on Easter morning. The egg-citement of the Easter egg hunt. Then there’s Easter lunch. Oh man, we love Easter lunch. And, because we love food so much we asked our in-store guru’s for their favourite Easter lunch meals.
Here’s our top-rated Easter Lunch Menu
Picked Fish Starter
Picked fish is undoubtedly essential when it comes to Easter. This dish is best prepped a few days ahead and works beautifully as a starter.
- 2kg Hake
- 150ml sugar
- 20ml Turmeric
- 50ml Curry Powder (Medium)
- 15ml Salt
- 3ml Cayenne Pepper
- 750ml Vinegar
- 200ml Water
- 3 Onions, sliced thinly
- 5 Bay Leaves
- Fillet your fish and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix together you curry powder, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, water and vinegar in a bowl.
- Transfer your mix to a pan deep pan and add in the onion slices.
- Cook on high for 30 minuets
- Add fish to the mix and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Layer the fish in a dish and cover each layer with sauce.
- Fill the dish with the remaining sauce and let it cool.
Lamb Shank Main
Lamb is a great Easter main meal. Our butchery recommends one lamb shank for each visitor.
- Lamb Shanks
- 1l stock (beef)
- 1l Red wine
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of rosemary
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 8 small peeled onions
- Baby carrots
- Celery Chopped
- Tomato paste
- 100g brown sugar
- 150ml Olive Oil
- Saute onions and veggies in a pot.
- Add in sugar and tomato paste.
- Next, add in the stock and wine.
- Season the shanks and seal them off.
- Place the shanks in a roasting dish and pour over the sauce.
- Cover with foils and cook in the oven at 150 for three and a half hours.
- Serve with a selection of Freshline Veggies.
Malva pudding has to be one of South Africa’s favourite desserts.
For the batter, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of flour
- An egg
- 1 Tablespoon of apricot jam
- A Teaspoon of bicarb
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- A Cup of milk
For the sauce, you’ll need
- 1 cup of cream
- 150g melted butter
- A cup of sugar
- ½ cup of warm water
- Beat together the sugar and egg.
- Add in the jam.
- Sift in the flour, bicarb and salt.
- Add vinegar to melted butter
- Alternate mixing liquids and flour to egg mix.
- Mix well and bake for 45minutes at 180.
- Melt sauce ingredients together and pour over pudding when it comes out of the oven.